[ES] Mindflayer

Mon, 01 Sep 14, 20:28 EDT
BIG AVATARS. I'll fix it.

[ES] Rooster

Sun, 27 Jul 14, 13:26 EDT
No worries! Go for it.

[ES] Mindflayer

Sat, 26 Jul 14, 23:36 EDT
Rooster, you good with us reloading the Minecraft server?

[ES] Rooster

Thu, 10 Apr 14, 08:21 EDT
Check your PM's 'Flayer!

Show 50 latest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Tue, 02 Sep 14, 12:37 EDT

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stopping power  (Read 848 times)

Offline [ES] Mindflayer

• Administrator
    • mindblog::ceremorphosis
Stopping power
« on: Thu, 15 Sep 11, 00:48 EDT »
Interesting data on stopping power by caliber: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

In a nutshell, use a handgun to get to your rifle.

NOW, that is unless DICE takes over the real world. Then we'll see 1 shot stops from a BB gun at 2000 yards while 12 gauge shots to the head at 10' just wound.

Offline [ES] Rooster

• Clan [ES]
  • Famous last words: Ya'll watch this s**t!
Re: Stopping power
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 Sep 11, 13:57 EDT »
I always view stopping power/effectivenss reports with a jaundiced eye. Typically, they are self-serving, either personally or professionally. The author even provides what amounts to a disclaimer for this very reason.

In general, I agree with the author. I have always been of the opinion that a hit with a .22 is much preferrable to a miss with a .44. Shot placement has always been, to my mind, far more important than caliber. Shoot someone in the eye with a .22 pistol. It may, or may not kill them outright but, I can assure you, either way they've lost all interest in the proceedings. Given that, any weapon that you can operate confidently, and shoot accurately is the one you should carry. Regardless of caliber.

After careful consideration, based on years of personal experience, I chose the .45 automatic. Specifically, I chose .45 in a 1911 platform. I shoot it well, the 1911 is just about as reliable as a machine can be, and the .45 delivers a substantial amount of energy to the target (I have begun trusting my XD quite a bit lately, but only after sending a considerable amount of lead downrange).

I will (and do) trust other pistols and calibers for personal protection. .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .41 magnum, and, oddly enough 5.7X28mm. I have personally seen what guns in these calibers can do when delivered properly.

However, having said allllll that... given the choice, like 'Flayer said, I prefer an AR with six spare mags and 100 yards (minimum) between me and the target.

Offline [ES] Mindflayer

• Administrator
    • mindblog::ceremorphosis
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 Sep 11, 10:39 EDT »
My go-to home defense handgun is an XDM .45 ACP, with a .357 Magnum backup. My usual carry in the summer is a .38 Special Airweight, but I prefer the 9mm XD (now XDM). I chose the .45 ACP for the same reason you did; the .357 revolver was chosen for simplicity, power, and to be honest, it's just a hoot to shoot. The 9mm? Ubiquitous - I can pick up that ammo anywhere. As Masaad Ayoob says, people may say the 9mm is a weak round, but he's never found anyone willing to stand downrange and take 3 shots.

The FN 5.7 is an interesting round. I've never fired one, but have read up quite a bit on it as the guns are often on sale around here (new and LE used). It looks like an amazing round on targets with cover and some body armor. That said, the 9mm with a good SD round appears to have a better wound channel on unarmored targets.

Offline [ES] Rooster

• Clan [ES]
  • Famous last words: Ya'll watch this s**t!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 Sep 11, 18:06 EDT »
I have done penetration tests on typical LEO body armor (out of date kevlar vests) with most of the rounds we've been discussing. I was with cops at the time (so none of you wonder what I was doing shooting cop vests lol). Anyway, I have seen what 230 grain .45 auto does to a vest. It ain't pretty. It won't penetrate, but the energy transfer is awe-inspiring. Put it this way, .357, &.45, penetration or not, you do NOT want to be the poor bastard wearing the vest.

5.7 is an interesting round. Even (and I know this first-hand) civillian ammo will almost penetrate. Energy transfer is not nearly as great though. With hot ammo? no problemo. We did a test on ballistics gelatin and the wound channel was hair-raising. That was with LEO-only(supposedly... I don't know what made it LEO-only) duty ammo though. If you've ever seen pictures of what a 5.56 round does when it meets flesh... yeah. I would have to shoot it a LOT though to trust myself to carry it. For some reason, I don't shoot it well. The pistol feels weird to me. Not to mention, new, the pistol is fairly expensive. So is the ammo.

People have been putting down threats with .38 special and 9mm for a long time. I don't shoot or carry something like that, so I don't keep one. I long ago consolidated to a great extent.